Hong Kong: Democracy Protest Leaders Have Still Not Gone To Trial; Police May Have Improperly Redacted Parts of The Record — It had been a year since the alleged offences took place

.

Lawyer says they may apply for court proceedings to be discontinued

By Chris Lau
The South China Morning Post

Joshua Wong, Nathan Law and Alex Chow. Photo by Edward Wong, SCMP

Student activist Joshua Wong Chi-fung and fellow protesters accused of taking part in an unlawful assembly before the Occupy protests started might ask for court proceedings against them to be dropped after securing police investigation documents.

Wong’s lawyer, Randy Shek, told Eastern Court yesterday that the legal team was considering making such an application but was still undecided because police had failed to give them some reports in full.

“They are partially disclosed,” said Shek, commenting on the reports he currently had in hand, but he said numerous entries had been covered up.

Wong, 18, convenor of student activist group Scholarism, has denied taking part in an unlawful assembly on September 26 and inciting others to take part in such assemblies.

Former Federation of Students secretary general Alex Chow Yong-kang, 25, has also pleaded not guilty to one count of taking part in an unlawful assembly on September 26 and 27.

Chow’s successor, Nathan Law Kwun-chung, 22, faces one charge of inciting others to take part in unlawful assemblies over the same two days, just before the 79-day pro-democracy movement went into full swing.

Shek told Principal Magistrate Bina Chainrai yesterday that they would apply for a disclosure order to obtain the redacted parts of the police documents.

He said the prosecution had told him that the information they were asking for was “irrelevant” and “immaterial”.

“If it is irrelevant, it would not be included in the first place,” Shek argued.

Chainrai adjourned the case to February 11 for a seven-day trial. She also arranged a hearing for the disclosure order on December 11, stressing that it had been a year since the alleged offences took place.

Prosecutors had said earlier that they would like to see the case dealt with soon because it was “straightforward”.

“If it is pretty straightforward, it should not take a year to prosecute,” Chainrai had replied.

A protest outside government headquarters in Admiralty last September resulted in demonstrators storming the space outside the complex known as “Civic Square”, but the court has not heard whether the charges relate to those events.

This article appeared in the South China Morning Post print edition as Occupy activists secure police reports

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/law-crime/article/1874225/occupy-activists-may-ask-hong-kong-court-drop-case-after

Advertisements

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

One Response to “Hong Kong: Democracy Protest Leaders Have Still Not Gone To Trial; Police May Have Improperly Redacted Parts of The Record — It had been a year since the alleged offences took place”

  1. daveyone1 Says:

    Reblogged this on World Peace Forum.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: