Yemen cross-border shelling kills Saudi child

AFP

© AFP/File | Cross-border attacks into Saudi Arabia have increased since a Saudi-led Arab coalition stepped up air strikes on insurgent targets inside Yemen

NAJRAN (SAUDI ARABIA) (AFP) – A rocket fired from Yemen killed a three-year-old boy Saturday in the Saudi border region of Najran, a civil defence official said, in the latest cross-border attack by Iran-backed Yemeni rebels.

Major Ali al-Shahrani, civil defence spokesman in southwest Saudi Arabia, told reporters a nine-year-old brother of the boy was also wounded when a Katyusha rocket hit their family’s home.

The attack came a day after rockets fired from Yemen struck a power station in Najran, marking a rare hit on Saudi Arabia’s infrastructure after months of periodic bombardment of the area.

Attacks have intensified since the suspension in early August of UN-brokered peace talks between the Shiite Huthi rebels and their allies, and Yemen’s internationally-recognised government which has the military support of a Saudi-led Arab coalition.

Ten people have been killed in Najran since August 16, when a single strike claimed seven lives.

The Arab coalition has also stepped up its air raids in Yemen since the peace talks collapsed.

The coalition intervened in March last year to support President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi after the Huthis and their allies seized much of Yemen.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: