The Associated Press
FILE – In this Sept. 24, 2015, file photo, a Muslim pilgrim walks through the site where dead bodies are gathered after a stampede during the annual hajj pilgrimage, in Mina, Saudi Arabia. The website of Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei quotes him on Monday, Sept. 5, 2016, accusing Saudi Arabia of causing the death of injured pilgrims in last year’s hajj stampede saying, “The ruthless and criminal Saudi men locked half-alive injured people up along with the dead in tightly closed containers and martyred them.” (AP Photo, File)
TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — Iran’s supreme leader on Monday said Saudi Arabian authorities “murdered” Muslim pilgrims who were injured during last year’s hajj stampede.
“The heartless and murderous Saudis locked up the injured with the dead in containers — instead of providing medical treatment and helping them or at least quenching their thirst. They murdered them,” Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said in a statement on his website marking the anniversary of the disaster. He offered no evidence to support the allegations.
© KHAMENEI.IR/AFP/File | Iran’s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei issued an angry rebuke to regional rival Saudi Arabia, calling on the Muslim world to question its management of Islam’s holiest sites
Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince and Interior Minister Mohammed bin Nayef said Iran was attempting to “politicize” the hajj. In comments published later Monday by the Saudi Press Agency, he said Iran had decided not to send its citizens to the pilgrimage this year for domestic purposes. Iran accuses Saudi Arabia of sabotaging negotiations that took place earlier this year regarding the security of pilgrims.
The September 2015 stampede and crush of pilgrims killed at least 2,426 people, according to an Associated Press count. Tehran has said 464 of the dead were Iranian and blamed the catastrophe on Saudi mismanagement of the annual pilgrimage. Khamenei has also blamed Saudi Arabia for an earlier crane collapse in Mecca that killed 111 people, and said the kingdom’s rulers had “reduced the hajj to a religious-tourist trip” while accusing Iran of “politicizing” the pilgrimage.
A top Saudi official said Khamenei’s accusations reflect “a new low”.
“These accusations are not only unfounded, but also timed to only serve their unethical, failing propaganda,” said Abdulmohsen Alyas, the Saudi undersecretary for international communications and media at the Ministry of Culture and Information.
“Saudi Arabia stands ready to serve the pilgrims and ensure their safety and comfort,” Alyas told The Associated Press.
Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Bahram Ghasemi said the ministry has formed a committee to investigate the issue and pursue it in international forums, without elaborating.
The hajj stampede caused a new flare-up in tensions between Iran and Saudi Arabia, regional rivals that back opposite sides in the civil wars in Syria and Yemen. The two countries severed diplomatic relations in January after Saudi Arabia executed a prominent Shiite cleric and angry Iranian crowds overran Saudi diplomatic missions.
Saudi authorities have not released the findings of their investigation into the hajj disaster. Preliminary statements suggested the crush was caused when at least two large crowds intersected.
Associated Press writer Aya Batrawy in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, contributed to this report.
Photo: Morteza Nikoubazl/SIPA/REX — 2 January 2016
Tags: Abdulmohsen Alyas, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Because of Saudi rulers' oppressive behaviour towards God's guests, Hajj, holy sites, hostile takeover, Iran, Iran's supreme leader, Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Islam, management of Islam's holiest sites, Mecca, Medina, Muslim holy places, Muslims, Muslums, pilgrimage, pilgrims, Saudi Arabia, Saudi government, saudi holy sites, Sheikh Nimr al-Nimr