1,466 killed in police operations
MANILA, Philippines – The bodies keep piling up. As the Philippine National Police (PNP) continues its anti-narcotics crackdown, the number of drug offenders killed has reached nearly 3,000.
The PNP reported yesterday that 1,466 suspected drug offenders were killed in the government’s “Double Barrel” drive against illegal drugs since President Duterte assumed office on June 30.
Another 1,490 were killed by suspected vigilante groups, which the PNP classified under “deaths under investigation.”
“The number of (police) operations conducted since the launching of Oplan Double Barrel has already reached 17,389, resulting in the deaths of 1,466 drug personalities and the arrest of 16,025 drug suspects,” PNP spokesman Senior Supt. Dionardo Carlos said.
Carlos stressed most, if not all, of those killed fought it out with the police.
Carlos added the PNP’s Oplan Tokhang resulted in the surrender of 52,568 self-confessed drug peddlers and 659,959 drug users.
The figures do not include the “deaths under investigation” from July 1 to Sept. 8 that have reached 1,490, out of 1,782 incidents involving 1,935 victims.
Of these drug-related incidents, the PNP arrested 185 suspects with 292 cases filed in courts against those involved in summary executions. 107 of them are still at large.
Duterte, a former prosecutor and mayor of Davao City where he built a reputation for tough anti-crime methods, won the presidential election earlier this year on a promise to end criminality and corruption in the first three to six months of his presidency.
He encouraged police and even ordinary citizens to shoot suspected drug dealers if they resist arrest, and promised cash rewards if they turn in drug lords.
The rising body count has shocked the world and sparked alarm among global human rights groups, fearing the total could be far higher as vigilantes have joined the spree.
Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) director general Isidro Lapeña said concerned citizens are the primary source of information in their operations against illegal drugs.
Lapeña said President Duterte issued the marching orders to stop the drug problem by all means that the law allows.
He said the fight will be relentless and will be sustained to meet the target of six months. – With Eva Visperas
‘Massacre in Jolo: US’ extra-judicial killings’
PAYBACK time, so it seemed.
This, when President Rodrigo Duterte unreeled before newsmen, on the eve of his departure for the Asean Summit this week in Laos, what he described as extrajudicial killings in the country’s far south by Americans in the 20th century rollover.
The President was giving context to his reaction to reporters’ queries in the event US President Barack Obama would raise the issue of extrajudicial killings in the Philippines less than 100 days after he assumed the presidency on June 30.
Duterte, the first head of state from Mindanao where the extrajudicial killings occurred during the pacification campaign on the Muslim dominated island, replied to questions:
SHAMELESS MASSACRE A photo from http://rarehistoricalphotos.com/ titled ‘US soldiers pose with the bodies of Moro insurgents, Philippines, 1906’ is captioned: The bodies of Moro insurgents and civilians killed by US troops during the Battle of Bud Dajo in the Philippines, March 7, 1906.
“Who is he [Obama]? At the turn of the century, before the Americans left the Philippines, there were 600 Moros who died. If you (sic) can answer this question and apologize, I will answer him [the US President],” Duterte said.
Duterte was referring to the Battle of Bud Dajo in 1906, when US Commander Woods ordered his officers to gather 800 of his men from the 6th and 19th Infantry, the 4th Cavalry, the 28th Artillery Battery, the Sulu Constabulary, and sailors from the gunboat Pampanga led by Col. Duncan to proceed to Jolo.
According to Duterte, the Americans were armed with mountain guns, rifles, bayonets, fast-firing pistols and grenades while the Moros, who sought refuge in Bud Dajo, were armed with just kris, baromngs and spears.
The Moros were ruthlessly wiped out.
And then Duterte, his usual defiant self, said “The Philippines is not a vassal state, we have long ceased to be a colony of the US…I do not respond to anybody but to the people of the Republic of the Philippines.
“Who is he (Obama) to confront me. As a matter of fact, America has one too many to answer for the misdeeds in this country.”
It was in 1898 when Washington signed a treaty with Madrid, under which the Philippines was acquired for $20 million, but the Filipinos refused the takeout and waged a war.
On July 4, 1902, US President Theodore Roosevelt declared the war over after subjugating the insurrectionist Filipino forces, and in his own proclamation said, “except in the country inhabited by the Moro tribes, to which this proclamation does not apply.”
The Moro Province was created in 1903, comprising the southern Mindanao and the Sulu islands.
Unlike the other provinces, the Moro Province was to be staffed by US Army officers, simply because Washington believed the Moro Province was backward and needed to be civilized and educated on democracy.
The Americans capitalized on the tribal divisions of the Moro Province and subdued them that way.
Except those in Jolo. Despite three years of persuasion by Woods, the leader of the Jolo tribes refused to recognize the US as the ruler of the country.
In 1906, hearing words that the Americans were going to invade, the Jolo people fled to the 15-hectare wooded crater of Bud Dajo, an extinct volcano, believing that the spirits of the volcano would protect them.
The “victory” earlier celebrated in the US was immediately tainted with shame after the US Congress realized there were women and children among the dead.
Obama On Philippines President Duterte — Obama said he had heard about the comment from Mr. Duterte and instructed his aides to determine whether it would still be productive to hold the face-to-face meeting
These are some of the bodies of men killed in President of the Philippines Rodrigo Duterte’s bloody war on illegal drugs (so far):
Two women cry in grief after armed assailants in a motorcycle shot their loved one in a main thoroughfare on July 23, in Manila
The body of three alleged drug suspects lie inside a room littered with pink toys and a Hello Kitty cushion. A gun can be seen by one of the men’s feet
A crime scene shows where an alleged drug dealer was killed. There has been at least 300 drug related deaths since the start of July
An alleged drug dealer and victim is found with his head wrapped in tape
A man in a blood soaked white t-shirt lays curled up on the ground next to a handgun
Another two bodies are seen in alleyways after being shot dead in Manila, The Philippines
An alleged drug dealer and victim is seen here with his hands bound and his head wrapped in tape
A woman clutches her dead husband in grief after armed assailants on a motorcycle shot him in a main thoroughfare on July 23
The wife of the victim said he was not a drug peddler and that he was nothing more than a pedicab driver plying his trade when he was shot in front of her
A funeral services worker in a yellow t-shirt is seen alongside police as another body of an alleged drug dealer is recovered in Manila
Local people line up behind a yellow police crime scene tape as police carry out an investigation in Manila
Funeral workers transport bodies of alleged drug dealers and victims of summary executions inside a funeral parlor on July 27
The body of an alleged drug dealer waits to be transported to a funeral home in Manila
This picture was taken at midnight after a drug raid in a large shanty community of the port area district on July 21, 2016 in Manila
A Filipino woman grieves the loss of her husband, next to a placard which reads ‘I’m a pusher’. The man was shot dead by an unidentified gunman in Pasay City, south of Manila, Philippines
Duterte has also told police he would protect them from legal consequences if they killed drug dealers, the South China Morning Post reported.
Picture shows the body of a killed Filipino allegedly involved in illegal drugs. Police have confirmed killing more than 110 drug suspects since president Duterte came to power
Police officers investigate the body of an alleged drug dealer, his face covered with packing tape and a placard reading ‘I’m a pusher’, on a street in Manila
At least 43,000 alleged drug traffickers have been ‘neutralised’ and 300kg of shabua, a highly addictive methamphetamine, has been confiscated
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3710940/Harrowing-pictures-brutal-truth-Philippines-war-drugs-s-seen-300-killed-just-one-month-president-ordered-police-bars-ground.html#ixzz4JO0QuUb2
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Tags: 1466 suspected drug offenders killed by police, 1490 killed by suspected vigilante groups, Americans, Battle of Bud Dajo, Battle of Bud Dajo in 1906, civilians, Duterte, extrajudicial killings, human rights, Moro insurgents, Muslim, Obama, Oplan Double Barrel, PDEA, Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency, Philippine National Police, Philippines, PNP, President Rodrigo Duterte, Summary executions, US President Barack Obama, US soldiers