Published September 23, 2016
Charlotte chief on video of Keith Lamont Scott shooting at video:
Protesters flocked to Charlotte for a third straight night Thursday in the latest sign of mounting pressure for police to release video that might resolve the different accounts of the shooting death of a black man.
There were contentious moments between demonstrators and police, but it was a far cry from the looting and destruction that was seen Wednesday night. Local officers’ ranks were augmented by members of the National Guard carrying rifles and guarding office buildings against the threat of property damage.
People chanted “release the tape” and “we want the tape” while briefly blocking an intersection near Bank of America headquarters and later climbing the steps in front of the city government center. Later, several dozen demonstrators climbed onto an interstate highway through the city, but they were pushed back by police in riot gear.
Charlotte-Mecklenburg police have resisted the calls to release dashcam and body camera footage of the death of 43-year-old Keith Lamont Scott earlier this week. His family was shown the footage Thursday and demanded that police release it to the public. The family’s lawyer said he couldn’t definitively tell whether Scott was holding a gun.
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Chief Kerr Putney told Fox News’ Megyn Kelly on “The Kelly File” that the decision to release the video was not up to him, but added “I think [releasing the footage] is probably the better option right now.”
Putney said that local police were no longer leading the investigation into Tuesday’s shooting and the decision to release the footage rested with the State Bureau of Investigation.
Charlotte Mayor Jennifer Roberts signed documents Thursday night for the citywide curfew that runs from midnight to 6 a.m. But demonstrators continued to march after the curfew took effect, and Police Capt. Mike Campagna told reporters that officers wouldn’t seek to move curfew violators off the street as long as they were peaceful. The demonstrators’ ranks appeared to thin from their peak of several hundred as the early morning arrived.
Scores of rioters Wednesday night attacked reporters and others, set fires and smashed windows of hotels, office buildings and restaurants in the city’s bustling downtown section. The NASCAR Hall of Fame was among the places damaged.
Forty-four people were arrested after Wednesday’s protests, and one protester who was shot died at the hospital Thursday; city officials said police did not shoot the man and no arrests have been made in 26-year-old Justin Carr’s death.
There were no reports of arrests Thursday night. Police said only two officers were hurt after they were sprayed with a chemical agent by demonstrators.
Police have said that Scott was shot to death Tuesday by a black officer after he disregarded loud, repeated warnings to drop his gun. Neighbors, though, have said he was holding only a book. The police chief said a gun was found next to the dead man, and there was no book.
Putney acknowledged on “The Kelly File” that the video “is not the most definitive piece of evidence we would have hoped for,” but added “there is a lot of other evidence that gives us a great deal of support and comfort.”
Justin Bamberg, an attorney for Scott’s family, watched the video with the slain man’s relatives. He said Scott gets out of his vehicle calmly.
“While police did give him several commands, he did not aggressively approach them or raise his hands at members of law enforcement at any time. It is impossible to discern from the videos what, if anything, Mr. Scott is holding in his hands,” Bamberg said in a statement.
Scott was shot as he walked slowly backward with his hands by his side, Bamberg said.
The lawyer said at a news conference earlier in the day that Scott’s wife saw him get shot, “and that’s something she will never, ever forget.” That is the first time anyone connected with the case has said the wife witnessed the shooting. Bamberg gave no details on what the wife saw.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
The family of the black North Carolina man whose shooting death by police triggered two nights of riots viewed videos of the episode on Thursday and asked for them to be made public, stepping up the pressure for their release.
The videos show Keith Scott was calm, acting in a non-aggressive way and walking slowly backward with hands by his sides when shot by police on Tuesday, the family’s lawyer said in a statement, but it was unclear if he was holding a gun, as police say.
The statement came as hundreds gathered for a third successive night of protests, some chanting, “Release the video.” The crowd thinned a little after a midnight curfew began, but police and protesters stayed peacefully apart.
Earlier, police had fired tear gas and non-lethal projectiles to break up crowds blocking traffic on a highway. National Guard troops backed up a robust police presence in the town center, helping to restrain protesters chanting “Whose streets? Our streets,” as helicopters circled overhead.
Scott’s death is the latest to stir passions in the United States over the police use of deadly force against black men. Protests have asserted racial bias and excessive force by police and have given rise to the Black Lives Matter movement.
After reviewing the videos, Scott family attorney Justin Bamberg said, “While police did give him several commands, he did not aggressively approach them or raise his hands at members of law enforcement at any time.
“It is impossible to discern from the videos what, if anything, Mr. Scott is holding in his hands,” he said in the statement.
Police say Scott was carrying a gun when he approached officers and ignored repeated orders to drop it. His family previously said he was holding a book, not a firearm, and now says it has more questions than answers after viewing two videos recorded by police body cameras.
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Chief Kerr Putney has said the video supported the police account of what happened but does not definitively show Scott pointing a gun at officers.
PROTESTER DIES FROM GUNSHOT
The rioting that has engulfed the city claimed a victim on Thursday, as city officials said a protester shot on Wednesday had died. Nine people were injured and 44 arrested in riots on Wednesday and Thursday morning, prompting officials to declare a state of emergency.
The man critically wounded by a gunshot during the protests, Justin Carr, 26, died on Thursday, but the circumstances of his shooting remained unclear.
In contrast to the tension in Charlotte, calm reigned in the city of Tulsa, Oklahoma, where police released a video of the fatal shooting of Terence Crutcher, shot by police last week after his vehicle broke down on a highway. The officer who fired her gun was charged with first-degree manslaughter on Thursday.
U.S. President Barack Obama called the mayors of both cities on Wednesday to offer condolences and assistance. On Thursday he urged protesters to maintain the peace, while still addressing concerns of racial inequality.
“(The) overwhelming majority of people who have been concerned about police-community relations (are) doing it the right way,” Obama told ABC News. “Every once in a while you see folks doing it the wrong way.
“I think it’s important to separate out the pervasive sense of frustration among a lot of African-Americans about shootings of people and the sense that justice is not always color blind,” he said on the “Good Morning America” television program.
(Additional reporting by Colleen Jenkins in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, and Dan Whitcomb in Los Angeles; Writing by Daniel Trotta; Editing by Leslie Adler, Paul Tait and Clarence Fernandez)
Tags: Bamberg, Charlotte, Charlotte Mayor Jennifer Roberts, Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Chief Kerr Putney, Charlotte police face calls to release video of shooting, Justin Carr, Keith Lamont Scott, NASCAR Hall of Fame, Oklahoma, Police-community relations, release the tape, Terence Crutcher, Tulsa, we want the tape