China: Man’s killing spree left 19 people dead — Heavily armed officers in fatigues swarm in to restore order

September 29, 2016

Yang Qingpei held after bodies, including of three children, found at different locations in remote Yunnan village

Police in Kunming, the capital of Yunnan province, where Yang Qingpei was arrested.
Police in Kunming, the capital of Yunnan province, where Yang Qingpei was arrested. Photograph: AFP/Getty Images

Chinese police have arrested a  including three children, who were found dead in different locations in a remote south-western village.

Mass killings are rare in China and the incident dominated discussion on social media platforms. It was not immediately clear how the victims were killed, or what the motive was.

Yang Qingpei, born in 1989, was arrested in Kunming, capital of Yunnan province and about 124 miles (200km) from the site of the murders in Yema, Yunnan police said.

The victims were members of six families, the official Xinhua news agency reported.

The bodies were found on Thursday at different locations in the village, according to a state-backed news website,, which said the suspect had given authorities some details.

The public security bureau in the nearby city of Qujing told Reuters it was investigating.



© AFP/File | Police stand outside a court in Kunming, the capital of southwest China’s Yunnan province where a man was arrested over the killing of 19 villagers

SHANGHAI (AFP) – Chinese police on Thursday arrested a suspect in a killing spree that left 19 people dead in a village in the southwestern province of Yunnan, authorities said.

Local police detained the man named Yang Qingpei, born in 1989 and from the same village, in the provincial capital Kunming, a statement released on an official social media account of Yunnan police showed.

The killings occurred in remote Yema village some 200 km south in a mountainous area.

The official Xinhua News agency reported earlier that the villagers were found dead at their homes on Thursday morning.

A list with the victims’ names circulating online showed they included 11 males and eight females, with the youngest a three-year-old girl and the oldest 72.

Four names were minors under 18, the list showed.

Yunnan officers have verified the list and the news release, Beijing News reported, adding that the police have said there was no link to terrorism.

The Ministry of Public Security sent a working group to oversee the case and manage local authorities in the investigation, reports said.

Video footage circulating online reportedly from the village showed swarms of police and heavily armed officers in fatigues walking the streets and a young man in jeans handcuffed on the ground.


Man arrested over slaying of 19 neighbours in south China

By Li Jing

South China Morning Post

Victims came from at least six families who lived near each other in village in Yunnan province, police and government say

Thursday, September 29, 2016, 11:14 p.m.

A man was arrested on Thursday in southwestern China on suspicion of killing 19 people, including four minors, mainland media have reported.

The suspect, 27, lived in the same village as the victims, outside Qujing city, about 200km from Kunming, the capital of Yunnan province, according to police.


 A photo taken from social media appears to show paramilitary police vehicles being deployed to the crime scene. Photo: SCMP Pictures

An earlier government report which circulated online in the afternoon stated 16 people from six families were killed.

But the figure was revised to 19 by the provincial bureau of public security. It said 11 of the victims were male and eight were women. The youngest was three years old, and the eldest was 72, The Beijing News reported.

 A photo taken from social media appears to show authorities carrying out the investigation. Photo: SCMP Pictures

Police have ruled out the possibility that the suspect was a terrorist but were still investigating the motive, according to the newspaper.

Local police in Huize county, which oversees the village, received a report that two elders were found dead at their home about 7.39am on Thursday and launched the investigation.

They quickly discovered many of neighbours had also been killed.

In Beijing, the Ministry of Public Security said in a statement in late afternoon that it has dispatched a task force to Yunnan.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

One Response to “China: Man’s killing spree left 19 people dead — Heavily armed officers in fatigues swarm in to restore order”

  1. daveyone1 Says:

    Reblogged this on World Peace Forum.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: