“Their perpetrators will be held to account,” Foreign Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault said in a statement.
“France is mobilising at the Security Council as we speak to put a stop to this unacceptable tragedy,” he added.
At least two barrel bombs hit the largest hospital in the rebel-held side of Aleppo early on Saturday, the medical organisation that supports it said.
The facility, known as M10, had already been hit by heavy bombardment on Wednesday along with the second-largest hospital in the area in what UN chief Ban Ki-moon denounced as “war crimes”.
“Two barrel bombs hit the M10 hospital and there were reports of a cluster bomb as well,” Adham Sahloul of the Syrian American Medical Society (SAMS) said of Saturday’s attack.
With M10 and the second-largest hospital in the eastern part of the city now both out of use, only six operational hospitals remain in the region, according to the Syrian American Medical Society (Sams).
Wednesday’s bombardment heavily damaged the two facilities and left only six fully functional hospitals in the city’s east, according to SAMS.
Aleppo: Brain surgery carried out on hospital floor – BBC News
Distressing footage shows the grim reality of an Aleppo hospital. Contains upsetting footage and scenes of surgery.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a British-based monitoring group, confirmed that the M10 hospital was hit on Saturday.
Observatory head Rami Abdel Rahman said one person was killed, but could not immediately confirm if the victim was a patient at the facility or a member of staff.
The observatory said at least 20 were killed by sustained Russian and Syrian army strikes and artillery shelling on Friday and into the early hours of Saturday. State media added that rebel mortar attacks on government-held Midan and other areas in the city killed at least 20 people.
Medical charity Médecins Sans Frontières described the impact of Syrian and Russian bombardment of the east as a bloodbath.
More than 220 people have been killed in the east of the city since the government launched its offensive on 22 September. Residents of government-held neighbourhoods expressed relief that the rebels were being pushed back but said they feared retaliation. “We were happy when we heard about the army’s advance,” said Majed Abboud, a 32-year-old car dealer.
“But I’m afraid that with these ferocious clashes, there will be some kind of reaction from the armed groups,” he said. “They hit us with rockets and there were many casualties today [Friday] in Suleiman al-Halabi and al-Midan.”
Aleppo, Syria’s largest city and commercial hub before the civil war began in 2011, has been divided into government and opposition sectors for four years.
Credit Al Jazeera and The Guardian
The recent bombardment of Aleppo has been some of the worst in Syria‘s five-year civil war, leaving more than 220 people dead and turning residential buildings into heaps of rubble.
The World Health Organization has called Syria the most dangerous place in the world for health workers.
Russia appeared to respond to the reports, based on an audio recording of the meeting obtained by The New York Times, but with a warning. Russian foreign ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said direct aggression by the US towards the Syrian government would lead to “frightening, tectonic shifts” in the Middle East.
(FRANCE 24 with AFP)
Tags: Aleppo, Assad, Ban Ki-moon, barrel bombs, Bashar al-Assad, Brain surgery carried out on hospital floor in Aleppo, cluster bombs, Foreign Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault, France, France condemned the bombing of Aleppo's largest remaining hospital in rebel hands, health workers, healthcare, M10 hospital was hit on Saturday, Russia, SAMs, Security Council, shelling of healthcare structures, Surian government, Syria, Syrian-American Medical Society, United Nations
This entry was posted on October 1, 2016 at 2:32 pm and is filed under Uncategorized. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.