China said on Wednesday that Japan had acted irresponsibly by withholding its 2016 funding for the UN heritage body UNESCO in a dispute over how the 1937 Nanjing Massacre is remembered. UNESCO had decided last year to include documents about the massacre in its “Memory of the World” program.
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said the massacre was a serious crime and a historical fact recognized by the international community, and that UNESCO was right to include it in the listing.
Ties between China and Japan, the world’s second- and third-largest economies, have been plagued with a territorial dispute over a group of tiny East China Sea islets and the legacy of Japan’s wartime aggression.
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying. File Photo Credit Kyodo