(AP) — KINSHASA — An ethnic Nande militia in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo killed about 30 civilians, mostly Hutus, on Sunday morning, local sources said, in an apparent escalation of deadly violence between the two groups that has flared repeatedly this year.
Joy Bokele, territorial administrator in North Kivu province’s Lubero territory, told Reuters that fighters from the Mai Mai Mazembe militia attacked the village of Luhanga at about 5 a.m. (0300 GMT) with guns and machetes.
“For the time being, we have a provisional toll of about 30 deaths and about 20 wounded,” Bokele said.
Militias claiming to represent the two ethnic groups have engaged in tit-for-tat violence throughout the year that has killed dozens of civilians.
Bokele said there was no known motive behind the attack but the Centre of Study for the Promotion of Peace, Democracy and Human Rights, a local activist group, said the killings followed a week of threats by the militiamen against local Hutus.
Tensions between the Hutu and neighboring communities have spiked since Congo’s army launched a military offensive last year against the main Hutu militia in the region, displacing large numbers of fighters and civilians.
(Reporting by Aaron Ross; Editing by Tim Cocks and Louise Ireland)
GOMA (DR CONGO) (AFP) – At least 34 civilians were killed Sunday in ethnic violence in restive eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, authorities said.”The provisional toll is 34 civilians killed,” said local official Joy Bokele, referring to the attack by a Nande ethinicity militia on the Hutu village of Luhanga.