Philippines: U.S. Will Not Fund Any Part of President Duterte’s Drug War Due To Human Rights Concerns

.Philippines' President Rodrigo Duterte © Lean Daval Jr

Assistance to shift to maritime security

MANILA, Philippines — The American government has shifted away its assistance away from law enforcement since the start of President Rodrigo Duterte’s anti-narcotics campaign, a United States (US) Department of State official said.

US Department of State spokesperson John Kirby stressed that the American government remains deeply concerned by reports of extrajudicial killings by government authorities in the Philippines.

“Since the start of the drug campaign, our law enforcement assistance has been refocused away from narcotics control to supporting maritime security efforts and to providing human rights training to the Philippine National Police,” Kirby said in a press briefing Monday.

Kirby noted that the US-funded training of the Philippine National Police has historically aimed to transform it into a modern, sustainable and democratic police force.

The police force should be able to provide internal security in difficult conditions while demonstrating respect for democratic principles and human rights.

Following reports of extrajudicial killings of drug suspects in the Philippines, the US decided to refocus its assistance to the country.

“We decided the prudent thing to do was to refocus the way that assistance was being spent,” Kirby said.

Kirby further noted that the American government’s assistance programs seek to expand Philippine capacity to “conduct effective, lawful investigations and professionalizes the criminal justice system so that it is more accountable, transparent, effective, and just.

An American senator had earlier warned that the US government may reconsider its assistance to the Philippines if the extrajudicial killings continue in the country.

Sen. Patrick Leahy, author of the Leahy Law, said that the spate of summary executions and extrajudicial killings as a result of Duterte’s war against drugs lack respect for international human rights commitments.

“It may be necessary to consider further conditions on assistance to the Duterte government to ensure that US taxpayer funds are properly spent and until that government demonstrates a commitment to the rule of law,” Leahy said.

The Leahy Law prohibits the US Department of State and Department of Defense from providing assistance to foreign military units that violate human rights. — Graphics by Jonathan Asuncion

RELATED: UN special rapporteur to visit Philippines in 2017

Source: http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2016/11/29/1648623/us-moves-aid-away-dutertes-drug-war

Related:

Two women cry in grief after armed assailants in a motorcycle shot their loved one in a main thoroughfare on July 23, in Manila. More than 4,ooo people have been killed in the Philippines without any due process, arrests or indictments since Duterte came to power last July.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

One Response to “Philippines: U.S. Will Not Fund Any Part of President Duterte’s Drug War Due To Human Rights Concerns”

  1. daveyone1 Says:

    Reblogged this on World Peace Forum.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: