Chinese local police may soon be able to censor news of disasters

Draft law comes at a time of growing public frustration with lax safety and poor accountability for natural and man-made calamities

By Reuters
South China Morning Post

UPDATED : Friday, December 2, 2016, 3:46 p.m.

China’s county-level police will be able to censor internet coverage of natural and man-made disasters, according to a revised draft of the country’s policing law that the Chinese Public Security Bureau released late on Thursday.

China reports a high rate of accidents and natural disasters every year due its vast geography and its relatively low public safety and building standards. The government has pledged to improve the country’s poor safety record.

Incidents are often met with an outpouring of public grief and anger that the authorities seek to contain using internet controls and state-media coverage focusing on successful relief work.

The provisional adjustment to China’s policing law, posted on the security bureau’s website, would grant county-level police new powers when dealing with disasters in their jurisdiction.

“When necessary”, local police will be allowed to “implement internet controls” if approved by a province-level public security bureau, the draft said.

Local police will also be able to cordon off disaster areas, and limit or block individuals or vehicles from entry into a certain area in the name of safety.

The draft law is in its public consultation phase, with suggestions accepted up until the end of 2016, a notice on the bureau’s website said.

It did not give a time frame for the revised law’s implementation.

Local police have in practice always been able to block access to disaster areas and could negotiate with websites and censorship authorities to guide discussion.

But the new law, if enacted, would see this practice formalised and ratified by the central government.

Incidents that range from chemical explosions to factory fires to mine cave-ins mar China’s three decades of rapid growth.

Two weeks ago, a platform support cranes collapsed at power plant in eastern China’s Jiangxi province, killing 74 workers.

After chemical blasts in the port city of Tianjin on August 12 last year killed more than 170, President Xi Jinping said authorities would learn the lessons paid for with blood.

In June and July this year, more than 800 people were killed in floods, typhoons, tornadoes and landslides. In Hebei province, on Beijing’s doorstep, some 240 villagers died or remained missing after the worst rains since the 1990s fell on the normally parched province.

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/policies-politics/article/2051174/chinese-local-police-may-soon-be-able-censor-news

Related:

.

Excavators continued to search for potential survivors on after a landslide buried buildings at an industrial park in Shenzhen, China, December 2015.Credit Andy Wong/Associated Press

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: