Philippines Complains About Chinese Ships — China says their ships had the right of freedom of navigation — Natural gas survey ship? — China launches world’s largest oil exploration platform

 8  62 googleplus0  0

Hawkfish recorded during the 2016 expedition to Benham Rise. Oceana Philippines, File photo

MANILA, Philippines (Philippines News Agency) – Chinese Embassy on Saturday denied it intentionally sailed to Benham Rise in eastern part of Luzon off Aurora and Quezon province, saying they simply passed by international sea.

In their website, China’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said their ships had the right of freedom of navigation in those waters, and its research ships did pass through seas northeast of Luzon Island last year.

“But this is purely carrying out normal freedom of navigation and right of innocent passage, and there were no so-called other activities or operations,” he said after their embassy received letter from the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA). “Comments from individuals in the Philippines on this do not accord with the facts.”

Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana on Thursday said Chinese ships were monitored in recent months at locations near the Philippines, with a warship spotted 70 miles off its western coast in the South China Sea and survey ships seen to the north and south of its eastern seaboard.

READ: Philippines questions Chinese presence at Benham Rise l Palace concerned over Chinese presence at Benham Rise

He said satellite imagery provided by allies had tracked Chinese vessels for three months last year in Benham Rise, a vast area the United Nations has declared to be part of the Philippines’ continental shelf.

China could be trying to explore Benham Rise, Philippines’ defense chief said, in what could be another source of conflict between the Asian neighbors.

Lorenzana pointed out that satellite photos and incident reports indicate that China had sent a ship to Benham Rise.

“One of the survey ships is also plying the Benham Rise already. Last year, it was monitored for about three months,” Lorenzana was quoted as saying.

He said he had given instructions to the Navy that if the survey ship returns, “accost them and drive them away.”

Since assuming presidency last year, President Rodrigo Duterte has sought closer ties with China, choosing to downplay the arbitral ruling on the South China Sea favoring the Philippines in exchange of reinvigorated economic ties.

The country’s claim to Benham Rise, a 13-million-hectare area located east of Luzon island believed to be gas-rich, was approved by the United Nations in 2012.

RELATED: French explorer to Philippines: Protect Benham Rise

http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2017/03/11/1680076/china-denies-intentionally-sailing-benham-rise

No automatic alt text available.

Duterte’s unilateral disregard for international law may be helping China — and hurting the Philippines.

On July 12, 2016 a ruling of the Permanent Court of Arbitration in the Hague said China’s nine-dash line claim (shown above) was invalid and not recognized in international law.

*

***************************************

China launches world’s largest oil exploration sea platform

The 42,000-tonne Bluewhale 1 is bigger, faster and can drill deeper than its rivals in disputed waters

By Stephen Chen
South China Morning Post

PUBLISHED : Sunday, 05 March, 2017, 1:16pm
UPDATED : Sunday, 05 March, 2017, 1:16pm

China has put into service what it claims is the world’s largest and deepest-operating offshore oil exploration platform, the Bluewhale I, the state broadcaster reported on Saturday.

The rig has a total deck area about the size of a soccer field with a sophisticated drilling system that can reach the seabed at a depth of 3,658 metres and bore a further 15,240 metres into the earth’s crust, according to China Central Television.

Image may contain: ocean, water and outdoor

The Bluewhale I is designed specifically for the South China Sea, where untapped oil reserves can lay buried 3,000 metres and more below sea level.

The rig cost more than US$700 million, or about the price of two Airbus A380 jumbo jets. It weighs 42,000 tonnes and is as high above water as a 37-storey building, CCTV said.

 The Bluewhale 1’s deck is about the size of a soccer field.

The vessel uses state-of-the-art technology from leading domestic and overseas suppliers such as Germany’s Siemens. Its operating speed is about a third faster than other Chinese drilling vessels, according to the manufacturer, CIMC Raffles in Yantai, Shandong.

While Bluewhale 1 is an exploration platform, the world’s largest production oil rig is Russia’s Sakhalin-1 offshore platform, which weights 200,000 tonnes.

Bluewhale 1’s owner, CNPC, said a major concern was environmental accidents, in particular oil spills. The vessel had undergone extensive tests before commercial operations began last month.

China’s deployment of large drilling rigs in disputed waters has raised concerns among its neighbours, mainly Japan and Vietnam. In 2014, Chinese and Vietnamese marine forces had a serious standoff when the Haiyang Shiyou 981 platform drilled near the Paracel Islands in the South China Sea, where the two countries have rival claims.

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/2076179/china-launches-worlds-largest-oil-exploration-sea-platform

Advertisements

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: