The Interpol on Tuesday evening issued a red notice for Chinese tycoon Guo Wengui at China’s request, sources who were briefed on the notice told the South China Morning Post.
The sources, who asked not to be identified, said Guo – who has close ties to disgraced former state security vice-minister Ma Jian – was suspected of bribing Ma with 60 million yuan (HK$67.8 million, US$8.72 million), according to the Interpol notice.
Ma is presently under corruption investigation.
An Interpol red notice is a request to locate and provisionally arrest an individual pending extradition, according to the Interpol website. It is not an international arrest warrant.
The Ministry of Public Security in Beijing has yet to reply to faxed questions for comment.
The Interpol said in a statement to the Post that they do not comment on specific cases or individuals.
Guo, also known as Miles Kwok, said on his Twitter account that he was in the United States and London recently. China does not have an extradition treaty with both the US and Britain.
Earlier this year, Guo had two video interviews with Mingjing News, a Chinese overseas media platform.
In those interviews, he alleged that Fu Zhenghua, China’s executive deputy minister of public security, had misused power against him.
According to a post by Guo on his Twitter account on April 14, he will have a three-hour interview with US news site Voice of America within the next 12 hours.
Additional reporting by Mimi Lau
This entry was posted on April 19, 2017 at 7:26 am and is filed under Uncategorized. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.