Berlin Christmas Market Terror Attack Litigation — Victims Accuse Berlin State Government of Gross Misconduct, Demands 100 Million Euros

Image result for Berlin Christmas market aftermath attack, photos

German police investigate at the Berlin Christmas market attack, December 19, 2016. Berlin Police stated that 12 people were killed and 48 injured in the deadly truck attack.

.

Following allegations of a cover-up in the investigation into Berlin Christmas market attacker Anis Amri, a victims’ lawyer has demanded 100 million euros in damages. Andreas Schulz says that the law is on his side.

Deutschland Berlin Trauer nach Anschlag auf Breitscheidplatz (Reuters/H. Hanschke)

Victims’ lawyer Andreas Schulz on Friday accused the officials working for the Berlin state government of gross misconduct in the handling of the Anis Amri case and demanded significant compensation. It was revealed earlier this week that authorities had allegedly been involved in a cover-up designed to hide a number of missed opportunities to arrest Amri.

“This is undoubtedly a case of government liability,” Schulz reportedly told the weekly German news magazine Focus when raising the claim of 100 million euros ($111 million) in damages.

“If they had arrested Amri back in November (2016) this terrible attack would never have happened,” Schulz added, saying that he was also considering suing a number of government officials involved in the alleged whitewash of Amri’s criminal background.

The lawyer said that he had every right to make such demands, as the findings had come from an official source, the parliamentary research services division (Wissenschaftlicher Dienst), and therefore fulfilled the requirements to lodge a claim for government liability.

Gross misconduct

Tunisian national Amri, who became the perpetrator of the deadliest Islamist terror attack on German soil when he ploughed a truck into a crowd at a Christmas Market in Berlin on December 19, 2016, had been under investigation for drug-related offences for months. However, his offences were deliberately treated as minor, preventing authorities from arresting the radicalized youth on numerous occasions.

Berlin state Interior Minister Andreas Geisel announced earlier in the week that Berlin’s office of criminal investigation (LKA) had tried to cover up this blunder. Geisel said that special investigator Bruno Jost had found two sufficiently incriminating notes in Amri’s files that could have warranted his arrest. Police staff had allegedly revised critical file notes and falsified documents to hide the missed opportunities to detain Amri.

It was also revealed that in January, certain documents pertaining to Amri’s drug offences had been backdated to November 1.

http://www.dw.com/en/lawyer-demands-100-million-euros-for-amri-victims-after-government-cover-up/a-38904456

Related:

Advertisements

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

One Response to “Berlin Christmas Market Terror Attack Litigation — Victims Accuse Berlin State Government of Gross Misconduct, Demands 100 Million Euros”

  1. daveyone1 Says:

    Reblogged this on World Peace Forum.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: