Posts Tagged ‘National police chief Ibrahim Idris’

Boko Haram Attacks Again on Easter: 11 Killed — Is This The Answer to Nigeria’s Offer of Amnesty?

April 1, 2018

EASTER: 11 killed in BokoHaram attacks in Borno

ON APRIL 1, 20184:29 AMIN NEWS5 COMMENTS BY NDAHIMARAMA, MAIDUGURI

No fewer than four members of the dreaded Boko Haram sect, four suicide bombers and three civilians were killed in separate attacks on two villages of Malumti and Muna Zawiya village, Mafa Local Government Area of Borno State.

The incidents, according to a reliable source, took place  on  Friday  evening. In a press statement signed by  Colonel Onyema Nwachukwu,  Deputy Director, Public Relations,  Theatre Command, ‘Operation Lafiya Dole’, said, “the four insurgents who had been routed out of the Sambisa Forest by troops in Operation Deep Punch II,   were rummaging   for food and logistics when they met their Waterloo. “The gallant   troops recovered a Toyota Land Cruiser, one AK 47 Rifle, 15 Rounds of 7.62 mm ammunition and one magazine.

Image result for Boko Haram photos

Troops also recovered 47 Jerrycans of Premium Motor Spirit, PMS, from the insurgents.

“In another development, troops of Operation Lafiya Dole deployed at a checkpoint ahead of Muna Zawiya in the outskirts of Maiduguri, yesterday, neutralised four suicide bombers comprising a male and three females. “The suicide bombers were attempting to infiltrate the Maiduguri Metropolis through Muna Zawiya area at about  9.30 pm  but were spotted by vigilant troops, who fired shots hitting one of them and thereby triggering a simultaneous explosion killing all the four bombers. “Regrettably, however, 18 persons were injured in the incident.

The wounded have been evacuated for medical attention.

Meanwhile, troops and members of   the Civilian Joint Task Force are presently   conducting cordon and search operation in the area for any other suicide bomber lurking around. But available information obtained from residents so far, revealed that the four blasts were said to be carried out by the suicide bombers leading to the killing of three civilians, apart from the 4 bombers. 18 others sustained various degrees of injuries as well as 5 sheep’s killed during the blasts. The injured persons are currently responding to treatment at specialist hospital Maiduguri.

Confirming the Muna Zawiya suicide attacks, though Contradictory to that of the military, Police Public Relations of Borno State Command, DSP Edet Okon, in a statement earlier said, “At about 2149hrs yesterday, 30/3/18 four (4) female suicide bombers infiltrated Muna Zawiya village in Mafa LGA outskirt of Maiduguri Metropolis. “They detonated the explosives killing themselves and one other person (female). Thirteen   (13) persons were injured and were taken to a hospital where they are responding to treatment.

“The Borno state police command had dispatched men to the scene including men of the CTU,   SARS and EOD to sweep the place and make the environment   safe. Normalcy has returned to the area. Meanwhile, adequate security arrangements has being emplaced for a hitch free Easter celebration. Patrol   and Monitoring Continues.” said Okon. end

Read more at: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2018/04/easter-11-killed-boko-haram-attacks-borno/

Related:

.

Advertisements

Boko Haram Attacks Borno Community

March 27, 2018

Suspected Boko Haram gunmen on Sunday night attacked a Borno community located along the Maiduguri-Bama road.

The road was on Saturday reopened by the Nigerian military four years after it was taken by Boko Haram.

The gunmen stormed the village in their dozens at about 10 p.m.

Boko Haram Terrorists

Sources said the gunmen opened fire on the sleeping residents who scrambled out of their houses into the bush.

Some lives were said to have been lost, while some others sustained injuries.

The spokesman of the military in Maiduguri, Onyema Nwachukwu, confirmed the attack, but said it was repelled.

“At about 10.09 pm yesterday , elements of Boko Haram insurgents who had been routed out of the Sambisa forest following troops’ offensives and clearance operations attempted to loot Mashumari village, a remote settlement under Konduga Local Government Area for food and other logistics,” he said.

“Our troops swiftly moved in and engaged the insurgents killing one insurgent, while others fled in disarray.

“A civilian who was wounded in the encounter is currently receiving medical attention.

He added that the “troops are still trailing the fleeing insurgents”.

The theater commander of the military operation in the North-east, Roger Nicholas, had on Saturday during the opening of the Maiduguri-Bama highway said the insurgents had been significantly degraded as such cannot pose any threat to the civilian users of the road. He, however, said military escorts would be provided for each trip through the 75km road.

Nigerian town awaits release of Christian girl held by Boko Haram — Amid persistent rumors Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari’s government has “paid off” the terrorists

March 25, 2018

AFP

© AFP/File | Freed Dapchi schoolgirls wait to meet Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari, who has vowed to do ‘everything in our power to bring Leah back safely’

KANO (NIGERIA) (AFP) – Residents of the Nigerian town of Dapchi were hoping for the release of the last schoolgirl kidnapped by Boko Haram, following encouraging indications from the authorities after the militants returned more than 100 youngsters they had seized.Her released schoolmates said the girl, Leah Sharibu, is a Christian who remained in captivity because she refused to convert to Islam.

“There is so much expectation in the town following the news that the last remaining girl will be released,” Kachalla Bukar, father of one of the schoolgirls recently freed, told AFP late Saturday by phone from the town in the northeastern state of Yobe.

“We were told she was on her way but she has not yet been brought,” said Kachalla, who is the spokesman of the abducted schoolgirls’ parents union.

The authorities had asked shopkeepers to close Saturday afternoon in anticipation of her arrival.

Leah Sharibu, only Dapchi schoolgirl in Boko Haram captivity.

National police chief Ibrahim Idris told reporters Saturday in Maiduguri, capital of neighbouring Borno State, the girl “may be released today”.

Idris said he cancelled a visit to Dapchi to avoid any “security hitch” in the town before Leah’s arrival, without providing further details.

In all, 105 of the 111 schoolgirls abducted on February 19 from their boarding school in Dapchi were released on Wednesday, raising questions about possible ransom payments.

They were brought back by members of Boko Haram in nine trucks and dropped by the school.

– ‘High spirits’ –

According to witnesses contacted by AFP, the girls were held on an island on Lake Chad, which is a known stronghold for fighters loyal to Boko Haram factional leader Abu Mus’ab al-Barnawi.

Five of the girls died in captivity, according to their colleagues.

On Saturday, soldiers deployed in Dapchi disappeared from the town’s checkpoints, raising hopes for Leah’s imminent release.

“We believe the news of the girl’s release is true because the body language of the security personnel, police and military, indicates the girl is on her way home,” said resident Tijjani Goni.

“The town is in high spirits and full of anticipation,” Goni said.

“The sudden withdrawal of soldiers from checkpoints is a clear sign the girl is coming,” said fellow Dapchi resident Sanda Masida.

President Muhammadu Buhari vowed on Twitter to do “everything in our power to bring Leah back safely”.

The Dapchi kidnapping revived painful memories in Nigeria of the April 2014 abduction of over 200 schoolgirls from Chibok, a town also in the northeast, which caused global outrage.

While some of the Chibok girls have been freed in exchange for ransom and the release of top Boko Haram commanders, a total of 112 remain in captivity.

Boko Haram has repeatedly targeted schools giving a so-called Western education in the mainly-Muslim region as part of an insurgency that has killed at least 20,000 people and displaced more than 2.6 million since 2009.

While a 2015 offensive launched by Buhari successfully reclaimed swathes of territory back from the jihadists in Nigeria, the group still stages deadly attacks on both military targets and civilians.

See also:

Fears that ransom was paid to Boko Haram to free 91 schoolgirls in Nigeria

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/03/21/abducted-nigerian-schoolgirls-returned-dapchi-boko-haram-militants/

Related:

.