Posts Tagged ‘Suicide bomber’

Bomber attacks NATO military convoy in Afghanistan — Romanian soldiers may have been killed

September 15, 2017
© AFP | NATO soldiers keep watch near the wreckage of a military vehicle hit by a suicide car bomber in Kandahar
KANDAHAR (AFGHANISTAN) (AFP) – A suicide attacker driving an explosives-filled vehicle slammed into a convoy of foreign troops in southern Afghanistan on Friday, officials said, with reports of several soldiers wounded.

The Taliban claimed the attack which Kandahar provincial governor spokesman Fazal Bari Baryalai told AFP “totally destroyed” one of the vehicles carrying Romanian soldiers in Daman district.

Afghan and NATO officials could not confirm reports of casualties but in a WhatsApp message to journalists Taliban spokesman Qari Yousuf Ahmadi said “seven invading forces” were killed.

The militants routinely exaggerate battlefield claims.

Provincial police chief General Abdul Raziq told AFP the scene had been cordoned off by foreign forces.

The Taliban’s latest assault follows the militant group’s pledge to turn Afghanistan into a “graveyard” for foreign forces after US President Donald Trump’s announcement to keep American boots on the ground indefinitely.

Earlier this month two Taliban suicide bombers launched separate attacks around Bagram Airfield, America’s largest base in the country, that wounded several US soldiers and civilians.

One of those attacks was in direct response to a US drop in the northern province of Parwan, where Bagram is located, that offended many Muslims in the deeply religious country.

The leaflet depicted a lion chasing a white dog — the same colour as the Taliban’s flag — with the Islamic statement of faith — “There is no God but Allah, and Mohammed is the messenger of Allah” — superimposed on its body.

Dogs are seen as unclean creatures by some Muslims and the association of Islam with a canine angered many people and sparked protests.

Advertisements

Suicide Bomber Kills Six People in Central Somalia

September 10, 2017

MOGADISHU — At least 6 people died on Sunday after a suicide bomber blew himself up in a restaurant just outside a senior official’s office in the central Somali city of Beledweyne, police and residents said.

The al Qaeda-linked al Shabaab group said it was behind the attack.

“At least six people died and several others were wounded. A suicide bomber blew up himself in a restaurant,” major Hussein Osman, a police officer told Reuters from Beledweyne.

The Sunday afternoon blast took place outside the office of the governor of the Hiran region, where he was holding a meeting, police and residents said.

“We are behind the attack at the Hiran governor’s headquarters. There are casualties. We targeted the workers of the Hiran administration,” said Abdiasis Abu Musab, al Shabaab’s military operation spokesman.

Image result for Abdiasis Abu Musab, al Shabaab, photos

Abdiasis Abu Musab, al Shabaab’s military operation spokesman

Beledweyne is about 340 km north of Mogadishu.

Residents said clan elders were among the dead.

“The suicide bomber who had an explosive jacket stood inside the restaurant and blew up himself. We were heading to a meeting in the governor’s office when it happened,” Farah Ali, a local elder, told Reuters.

Somalia has been at war since 1991, when clan-based warlords overthrew dictator Siad Barre and then turned on each other.

Al Shabaab has in the past carried out frequent attacks in Mogadishu and other parts of Somalia in a bid to topple the country’s Western-backed government and drive out African Union peacekeeping troops.

Al Shabaab also wants to impose its strict interpretation of Islam in Somalia.

(Reporting by Abdi Sheikh and Feisal Omar; Editing by George Obulutsa and Mark Potter)

ISIS Claims Deadly Attack on Shiite Mosque in Afghanistan

August 25, 2017

KABUL, Afghanistan — Suicide attackers stormed a crowded mosque in Kabul during Friday Prayer, officials said, killing at least 20 people and wounding dozens of others in the latest in a series of deadly attacks against Shiites in Afghanistan.

The Islamic State, which previously claimed deadly assaults against Shiite targets in the country, said its militants were behind the attack, according to the group’s Amaq news agency.

Worshipers who had jumped out of windows and fled barefoot from the siege described scenes of panic and bloodshed after gunmen entered the compound in a residential area in the north of the city. The men stormed in after an explosion, believed to have been caused by grenades thrown at security guards at the entrance.

Eidi Muhammad Akbari, who fled to safety, said that hundreds of people had been stuck inside.

“Half of the mosque was full of worshipers — women upstairs and men downstairs, hundreds of men and women,” he said, pacing barefoot. “They threw a grenade inside and then entered.”

Fleeing the area of the mosque attack. Worshipers who had jumped out of windows described scenes of panic after gunmen had entered the compound. Credit Mohammad Ismail/Reuters

Multiple heavy explosions were heard. As plumes of thick smoke rose above the mosque, witnesses said, the Afghan forces tore down a rear wall to rescue dozens of worshipers trapped inside.

“I personally helped evacuate 20 dead bodies, many of them women,” said Sayed Hussain, who managed to get inside the mosque to look for his friends. “They had killed people wherever they found them.”

Nearly four hours after it began, the siege was declared over by elite Afghan forces.

“We are still transferring casualties to hospitals,” said Mohammed Ismail Kawoosi, a spokesman for the Afghan Health Ministry.

Read the rest:https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/25/world/asia/mosque-kabul-attack.html?&moduleDetail=section-news-1&action=click&contentCollection=Asia%20Pacific&region=Footer&module=MoreInSection&version=WhatsNext&contentID=WhatsNext&pgtype=article

Related:

Kabul Shia mosque attacked, leaving 10 dead — Militants carried out a “commando” attack on the mosque.

August 25, 2017

BBC News

Security forces deploy to the site of the attack

At least 10 people have been killed and 30 injured in an attack on a Shia mosque in the Afghan capital, Kabul, officials say.

A suicide bomber detonated explosives at the mosque’s gate before two gunmen entered as worshippers gathered for afternoon prayers.

Afghan special forces fought a four-hour gun battle with the attackers and say the gunmen are now dead.

So-called Islamic State (IS) said it was behind the attack.

The group’s news outlet, Amaq, said militants had carried out a “commando” attack on the mosque.

Children and police officers are among the victims of Friday’s attack, interior ministry officials say.

Last month, dozens of people were killed when a car bomb struck a bus carrying government employees in the capital. The Taliban said they were behind that attack.

An Afghan man who fled the mosque when a suicide bomber attacked it leaves the scene, in Kabul, Afghanistan, 25 August 2017
One survivor was covered in blood from the attack. EPA photo

Suicide bomber, gunmen attack Shiite mosque in Kabul — More than 10 ambulances were at the scene

August 25, 2017

Image result for ambulances, kabul, afghanistan, photos

KABUL (AFGHANISTAN) (AFP) – A suicide bomber and gunmen attacked a Shiite mosque in an ongoing attack in the Afghan capital of Kabul on Friday, officials said, the latest assault to highlight the war-torn country’s deteriorating security situation.

Gunshots could be heard and witnesses reported seeing worshippers smash windows to escape the building.

More than 10 ambulances were at the scene and dozens of security forces have surrounded the mosque, in a residential area in the city’s north.

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing and outdoor

  Shiite mosque during an ongoing attack, Kabul, Afghanistan, Friday, Aug. 25, 2017. AP photo

Kabul police spokesman Abdul Basir Mujahid told AFP a suicide bomber “detonated himself inside the mosque”, adding that there were casualties but could not confirm numbers.

An interior ministry spokesman told media that at least two police officers had been killed. A health ministry official confirmed at least two people had died and 11 were wounded, without specifying if they were civilians.

People gathered outside the mosque, believed to have been crowded with Friday worshippers, were trying to call women and children trapped inside but their mobile phones were not responding, an AFP reporter at the scene said.

“Our relatives have been stranded inside the mosque… We believe they have been held hostage by the gunmen. We are very concerned about their safety and may God help us and rescue our loved ones,” one said.

Tempers were beginning to fray as onlookers called for the forces to storm the building.

The assault underscores spiralling insecurity in Afghanistan as a resurgent Taliban steps up offensives across the country, while the Sunni Islamic State group, known for carrying out sectarian attacks, expands its Afghan footprint.

It comes just days after US President Donald Trump pledged American troops would stay in Afghanistan indefinitely.

Najib Danish, a deputy spokesman for the interior ministry, told TOLOnews that initial information suggested a suicide bomber detonated himself and two or three other militants had entered the mosque and were exchanging fire with police.

“Two Afghan police forces were martyred and two others were wounded and have been taken to hospital. All the four police officers were responsible for the security of the site,” Danish wrote on Facebook.

“The bombers are running short of bullet rounds and they are using knives to stab worshippers,” an eyewitness told an AFP reporter.

Witnesses said the attackers were also armed with rocket propelled grenade launchers.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility but Shiites, a minority of around three million in overwhelmingly Sunni Afghanistan, have regularly been targeted by IS jihadists over the past year. They accuse police and troops of failing to protect them.

IS has claimed responsibility for a series of attacks killing dozens of Shiites in Kabul over the past year, including twin explosions in July 2016 that ripped through crowds of Shiite Hazaras, killing at least 85 people and wounding more than 400.

Earlier this month 33 worshippers were killed and 66 wounded in a suicide attack claimed by the Islamic State Group on a Shiite mosque in the western Afghan city of Herat.

by Mushtaq MOJADDIDI

Two Soldiers, Six Al Qaeda Militants Die in Yemen Attack: Official

August 8, 2017

ADEN — Two soldiers and six suspected al Qaeda attackers were killed and 10 soldiers wounded on Tuesday when a suicide bomber and gunmen tried to storm an army camp in southern Yemen, a local security official said.

Al Qaeda has exploited more than two years of civil war between President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi’s internationally- backed government and the Iran-aligned Houthis to try to deepen its influence in Yemen, repeatedly launching bomb and gun attacks on security forces, government officials and compounds.

“This was a terrorist attack and it has been foiled,” the official said of the attack in Juhayn, Abyan province.

The Yemeni army has been preparing to deploy across Abyan to try to drive al Qaeda militants out of the province, local officials have said.

Last week, Yemeni forces, backed by U.S. and UAE soldiers, deployed in neighboring Shabwa province where al Qaeda also operates. Local residents and officials said the militants withdrew into the mountains without a fight.

In March, 11 people were killed in a suicide bombing and gun attack by suspected al Qaeda militants on a local government compound in al-Houta, provincial capital of Lahj – another southern province.

(Reporting by Mohammed Mukhashaf; Writing by Sami Aboudi; Editing by Robin Pomeroy)

Afghan Official Says Bomber Who Hit NATO Wore Woman’s Burqa, Was Riding a Motorcycle

August 4, 2017

KABUL, Afghanistan — An Afghan official says the suicide bomber who hit a NATO patrol, killing one service member and two Afghan civilians, had hid behind the all-enveloping women’s garment known as a burqa.

Abdul Sami Sharifi, governor of the district of Qarabagh, located north of the Afghan capital, said on Friday that the attacker was riding a motorcycle.

He says the bomber rammed his motorcycle into a NATO patrol late the previous night.

The U.S. military in Afghanistan reported the death of the coalition member but not identify the soldier’s nationality. The statement said another five service members and their Afghan translator were hurt in the attack, but were in stable condition.

The Taliban have claimed responsibility for the attack in a telephone call to The Associated Press.

Image result for Woman's Burqa, Riding a Motorcycle, afghanistan, photos

Afghanistan: Suicide bomber attacks NATO-led convoy near Kandahar, full extent of casualties not yet known

August 2, 2017

KABUL (Reuters) – A suicide bomber attacked a convoy of international troops near the airport in the southern Afghan city of Kandahar on Wednesday, a security official said, and the NATO-led military coalition confirmed there were casualties.

“We are working to gather additional information as quickly as possible and will release more details as appropriate,” the coalition said in a statement.

The airport in Kandahar is home to a major military base for international troops helping Afghan security forces.

Blasts, gunfire rock Afghan capital

July 31, 2017

AFP

© AFP | Afghan security forces stand guard at the site of a suicide blast near Iraq’s embassy in Kabul
KABUL (AFP) – A series of explosions and the sound of gunfire shook the Afghan capital on Monday, with a security source telling AFP that a suicide bomber had blown himself up in front of the Iraqi embassy.

“Civilians are being evacuated” from the area as the attack is ongoing, said the official, who declined to be named. There was no immediate information about any casualties.

At least four explosions, along with the sounds of gunfire and grenades, were heard by AFP reporters and residents near the city’s diplomatic quarter shortly after 11:00 am (0630 GMT).

Security forces rapidly descended on the area, as the squeal of ambulance sirens rushing to the scene could also be heard.

A column of smoke rose into the air from the blast site.

Police confirmed at least one blast had taken place, but said they did not immediately have further information.

The Iraqi embassy is located in northwestern Kabul, in a neighbourhood that is home to several hotels and banks as well as large supermarkets and several police compounds.

The attack is the latest to rock Kabul, and comes as the resurgent Taliban ramp up their offensive across the country during the warmer weather fighting season.

A week ago, a car bomb struck the city during morning rush hour, killing at least 26 people.

A recent UN report showed that nearly 20 percent of all civilian deaths in Afghanistan in the first half of 2017 took place in Kabul.

Many of those deaths happened in a single attack in late May when a truck bomb exploded during the morning rush hour, killing more than 150 people and injuring hundreds.

Suicide Bomber Wounds Five Soldiers in Yemen Attack: Local Official

July 17, 2017

ADEN — A suicide car bomber wounded five soldiers outside a government army compound in eastern Yemen on Monday, said a local security official who blamed the attack on militant group al Qaeda.

The attack in the Ain BaMaabad area was the second by al Qaeda in two days in Shabwa province, where Yemen’s liquefied natural gas plant and export facilities are located.

Five soldiers were killed and four were wounded in a raid on Sunday when suspected al Qaeda militants attacked an army outpost guarding a gas pipeline which transports LNG from Marib to the export facility at Balhaf.

Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula has exploited a civil war between the Western-backed government of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi and the Iran-aligned Houthis to try to expand its influence in Yemen.