Posts Tagged ‘woman who hunts tyrants’

Duterte announces Philippines’ withdrawal from International Court’s Rome Statute — This is Not An Attempt To Avoid Prosecution — ICC is “being utilized as a political tool against the Philippines.”

March 14, 2018
Image may contain: skyscraper, sky, cloud and outdoor

Audrey MoralloAlexis Romero (philstar.com) – March 14, 2018 – 2:35pm

MANILA, Philippines — Citing “outrageous” attacks on him and his administration and the supposedly illegal attempt by an International Criminal Court prosecutor to place him under its jurisdiction, President Rodrigo Duterte on Wednesday announced that he is withdrawing the Philippines from its ratification of the Rome Statute effective immediately.

Early in February, International Criminal Court special prosecutor Fatou Bensouda, announced that she was initiating a preliminary examination into allegations of extrajudicial killings in the Philippines to see if these fall into the court’s jurisdiction and if a full-blown investigation is needed.

President Rodrigo Duterte (left photo) delivers a speech during the 120th founding anniversary of the Department of Justice at the Philippine International Convention Center in Pasay City on Sept. 26, 2017. International Criminal Court chief prosecutor Fatou Bensouda (right photo) has been hailed by The Guardian as the “woman who hunts tyrants.” She is seen in this February 2013 photo.

PPD/Ace Morandante and Heinrich-Böll-Stiftung/Stephan Röhl

Duterte since then has lambasted several United Nations officials and stressed that the ICC would not have jurisdiction over him. The Palace was quick to point out then that the examination was not the same as an investigation. Bensouda’s office has yet to determine whether it does have jurisdiciton.

The Rome Statute is the international treaty that established the International Criminal Court and was adopted in 1998. The Philippines ratified the treaty in 2011.

‘ICC being used vs Philippines’

Duterte said it was apparent that the ICC is “being utilized as a political tool against the Philippines.”

“The very considerations upon which the Philippines agreed to be a signatory to the Rome Statute have not been observed, not complied with, hence the rescission of such agreement or the withdrawal of our country’s ratification of the Rome Statute is in order,” Duterte said in a statement.

“Given the baseless, unprecedented and outrageous attacks on my person as well as against my administration, engineered by officials of the United Nations as well as an attempt by the International Criminal Court special prosecutor to place my person within the jurisdiction of the International Criminal Court…I therefore declare and forthwith give notice. as president of the Republic of the Philippines, that the Philippines is withdrawing its ratification of the Rome Statute effective immediately.”

Duterte previously said that the ICC would “never never never” have jurisdiction over him and maintained that his controversial crackdown on narcotics would continue until he steps down.

Read more at https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2018/03/14/1796688/duterte-announces-philippines-withdrawal-rome-statute#aOUvhJxfGrGp6Xuo.99

Related:

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, eyeglasses and closeup

Agnes Callamard, U.N. special rapporteur on extrajudicial executions

Image may contain: 1 person, closeup

Prosecutor Fatou Bensouda at the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague, Netherlands.

.
.

© AFP/File | President Rodrigo Duterte’s crackdown on drugs has stoked controversy in the Philippines and abroad

Advertisements

Philippine President “Shoot Women in the Vagina” Duterte Wants To Cross Examine International Court Prosecutor Called “The Woman Who Hunts Tyrants”

February 13, 2018

 

President Rodrigo Duterte (left photo) delivers a speech during the 120th founding anniversary of the Department of Justice at the Philippine International Convention Center in Pasay City on Sept. 26, 2017. International Criminal Court chief prosecutor Fatou Bensouda (right photo) has been hailed by The Guardian as the “woman who hunts tyrants.” She is seen in this February 2013 photo.

PPD/Ace Morandante and Heinrich-Böll-Stiftung/Stephan Röhl
 .

Alexis Romero (philstar.com) – February 13, 2018 – 4:40pm

 .
MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte wants to cross examine International Criminal Court chief prosecutor Fatou Bensouda if she decides to pursue a case against him in connection with his bloody campaign against illegal drugs.
.

Duterte, a former prosecutor, said Bensouda would realize that “she is doing it wrong” if he is allowed to ask her questions before the International Court of Justice.

 .
“I’m waiting. Tingnan ko kung gaano siya… (I’ll see how good she is) A few questions, ‘yan kaming dalawa lang (just the two of us). If she decides to file a case… I will cross-examine her there in the International Court of Justice,” Duterte said during a meeting with local government officials in Cebu City Monday night.
 .
“She (Bensouda) will find out that she’s doing it wrong,” he added.
 .
The ICC is about to start its preliminary examination on the killings tied to Duterte’s anti-illegal drugs campaign, which has earned criticism for allegedly encouraging human rights violations.
 .
 .
The court acted on a communication sent by Jude Sabio, lawyer of Edgar Matobato, who previously claimed to be a hit man of a death squad formed by Duterte when he was still mayor of Davao City. Sabio has accused Duterte of ordering the killing of about 1,400 people in Davao City and 7,000 others who were accused of having links with narcotics syndicates.
 .
The opposition welcomed the ICC announcement, saying the preliminary examination is a step closer to attaining justice for victims of extrajudicial killings. But Malacañang belittled the development, believing the complaint against Duterte would fail because the crackdown against illegal drugs do not constitute a crime against humanity.
 .
Duterte has said he is ready to face a death sentence for launching a campaign against the drug menace, which he claimed, has contaminated four million Filipinos.
 .
The president reiterated that he would not stop his controversial war on illegal drugs until he steps down from the presidency.
 .
“I told the police and the military, ‘work on it.’ I take full responsibility of the consequences of the drug campaign…whether intended or not. It will be my sole, singular responsibility, and I will answer alone,” the President said.
 .
“If I do not move, let’s be frank, 40 percent of the total barangays in the Philippines are contaminated with shabu. They’re about 9,000 barangay captains into drugs. How can I control? I will run out of time,” he added.
 .
Duterte said he is ready to face the consequences of his actions, which he claimed, were intended to preserve the country and its youth,
 .
“If I die, I don’t mind. I am old. I have completed all of my dreams. All my dreams, all the accolades, all the applause, I’m done with all of them. I do not need it really,” he added.
 .
RELATED VIDEO:

ANTI-DRUG WARINTERNATIONAL CRIMINAL COURT (ICC)

https://beta.philstar.com/headlines/2018/02/13/1787471/probe-begins-duterte-says-he-wants-grill-icc-prosecutor

Related:

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, eyeglasses and closeup

Agnes Callamard, U.N. special rapporteur on extrajudicial executions

Image may contain: 1 person, closeup

Prosecutor Fatou Bensouda at the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague, Netherlands.

.
.

© AFP/File | President Rodrigo Duterte’s crackdown on drugs has stoked controversy in the Philippines and abroad